RE: nudity

---------

From: Judi Morgan (judi.morgan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2005 - 11:08:10 PST

I also presented Matisse's dancers to elementary students. Before I
showed the image, I explained that Matisse was trying to convey the
gracefulness of dance. I drew "organic" stick figures on the board and
asked if they could see the gracefulness of the dance movement (of
course, they could). Then I drew clothes on the figures and they could
see how it hid so much of the movement. I then explained that Matisse
chose to dress the figures in a way that the movement was not hidden--he
dressed them in orange. There was no problem from students or parents.

On the other hand, when I had sixth graders choose a Matisse painting to
emulate, a couple of the boys chose nudes. It was obvious that their
choice wasn't art based. I let their parents know what they had chosen
and explained that whether it was okay with them or not, I was telling
the boys that they had to choose something else.

I agree that nudity is a delicate subject and needs to be presented
carefully and respectfully...and hopefully the community will response
in the same way.

I often refer back to the movie, Titanic. Which scene was a healthier
example for teenagers to see...the one where she is posing for the
drawing? Or the one in the back seat of the car? Hmmm...point of view,
indeed.

Judi Morgan

Saint George's School

2929 W. Waikiki Road