RE: Ashcan school - help!

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (HillmJan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2005 - 09:50:43 PST

Hi Jeannie,

Do you have any pictures of this?
It sounds cool.

Jan

My fourth graders enjoy drawing city scenes and then painting
them in fantasy colors, i.e. favorite colors.

I use a quarter sheet of newspaper that has columns of print but no
photos. The colums and rows of print help with drawing horizontal
and vertical lines. We do it in three parts: 1, draw vehicles at the
botton of the paper, two lanes of vihicles to show overlapping,
2.draw 10 people behind the vehicles as though on the sidewalk,
3.draw buildings touching one another. Use different styles of
windows, etc for each building. We do this with sharpie marker,
not pencil!!! Then they start to paint.

I have baby food jars of paint with dozens of luscious colors I have
mixed. They paint the sky first with any color -- even green!! Then
they add a touch of that color in some other spot on the painting.
And so it goes, until they have painted as many things as they
wish. Often buildings are left as plain newspaper .

Jeannie in PA, k - 5

---
leave-artsednet-20361K@lists.getty.edu
---