Re: Nudity - see discussion last year

---------

lpapanicolaou_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Feb 06 2005 - 10:29:59 PST

I'll go with the principal and the parents in this case,
though not for the reasons they would want. The crux of the
problem is that nude female bodies are a signifier of 'art'.
Why would we in any way support teaching our students that
the role of the female in our subject area is to be
objectified?

Sure they'll find out about art museums soon enough, but let
them do that on their own. There's so much material out
there that you have plenty else to work with--or now that
you know how your community feels, edit the stuff out before
you show the video. Most art videos aren't really suitable
for instruction anyway so I make my own presentations via
Powerpoint and iMovie.

Linda P.