Re: Elmo Camera

---------

From: K A (arizkma_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2005 - 08:23:19 PST

I have something similar to this Elmo camera at both of my school. In fact, all the teachers in the district have what's called a "media cart". It's a cart with a similar camera, projector and speakers. We can put anything under the camera to be shown on a large screen.

I have not found a way to project a paper larger than 8 1/2 x 11, but I will look into this. I use it to project demos of anything (yes, clay would work) and show student work (wow - they love to see their stuff on "the big screen"). When I stick a book or large masterworks print under it, I have just been showing part of the item at a time because they are so large. It's awesome to zoom in close to a portion of Van Gogh's brush strokes, etc.

I can also hook this unit up to my laptop computer and project anything from the computer onto the screen (power point presentations, websites, etc.). However, it's fairly new to me and I haven't quite learned how to do this yet. I signed up for an additional training session at the district that will take place next month. Oh, and yes, I have projected something onto the blackboard or large sheet of butcher paper instead of the screen for tracing. Both the light and camera are adjustable, so it would be possible to trace a student's profile in this way.

The possibilities are endless! I can't wait to go to my more advanced training!!

~ Kathleen

lindwood@webtv.net wrote:
Demos on 8x5 x 11 paper don't give you much room to work, do they? Do
you ever demo clay under your Elmo for your students?

Linda Woods

Visit our student's web art gallery at St.John's School

www.sjs.org
click on "Stories of SJS," click on "Arts Stories," click on Linda
Woods' name. View artwork by Lower, and Middle School students as well
as our art archives.