Re: Elmo Camera

---------

From: Elizabeth Heisey (eheisey_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2005 - 05:56:19 PST

I do lots of demos, explanations, etc. on my document camera which is
then projected through my video projector. My document camera has more
features than the elmo, but I have seen the Elmo and I think anyone
would love either product.
It has completely changed my whole approach to teaching contemporary
art because we look at an artists' body of work every day. Sometimes
with a discussion, sometimes just a 2-minute flip through.
This has completely changed my whole approach to teaching--esp drawing.
Of course I also use it to project books and images. But other lessons,
such as laying a pile of keys, scissors, leaves on the surface,
resizing to the edge of the projected area, and backlighting and voila!
you have a wonderful negative shape study. Hit 'freeze' button and it
can be kept for the length of the class easily.
Another favorite is when doing blind contours to lower the lights and
have the students follow my penpoint as I guide them through a really
slow blind contour.
You can freeze an image of a student by turning the head around, and
draw from that...You can portray a different view of the model as they
model...
You can save images into your computer drive and use them the next
day...
You can project through your TV, if that is less $.
I absolutely love this thing. Sometimes students come up and project
really bizarre stuff for the effect. Kind of their own version of the
colored oils in the petrie dish from the 60s. A huge projection of any
art even during a study hall has a real impact on students in my
classroom working on anything.
I believe all these things could be done on either machine (Elmo or
document projector); I have to say if I was just starting out with one
that the Elmo looked a lot easier to use, besides being cost effective
and easy to unplug and lock up, if that was an issue.
Beth
ps issues of lighting in projection can become an issue. Make sure your
room is going to be dark enough for what you project onto a screen
under what circumstances.

---