Re: artsednet digest: January 23, 2005

---------

From: Fran Legman (flegman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 04 2005 - 13:46:58 PST

I weave paper with first graders in preparation for yarn in second grade.
It helps a lot! However I do not use open ended looms. I draw slits on a
folded piece of oak tag (around 9 x 12). Then they cut the slits (they are
about an inch from the top and bottom edge, that is why the oak tag is
folded. First I have them practice cutting the slits on a sheet of paper
that I have xeroxed (with lines) and folded. I make the lines on the looms
using a template that I made: it took some time, but it was worth it. Then,
keep stressing, łover, under, over, under, over. The hardest part for them
is to remember one row starts with under, the next row starts with over.
Good luck. Fran in NJ

On 1/24/05 3:00 AM, "ArtsEdNet Talk digest" <artsednet@lists.getty.edu>