Re: Great book with junk collage illustrations

---------

From: jane.phelan (jane.phelan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2005 - 20:12:02 PST

The first day of our Kindergarten unit on "Communication," we introduced the
subject of portraits, and how the artist communicates information in many
ways. Coincidentally, one of the children had brought in this book -- What
Presidents Are Made Of -- and already knew the text by heart, so he was
proud to "lead" circle time and show the images of and talk about his
favorite presidents. We talked about how the artist chose the collage
elements for each portrait to reveal clues about each president's character
and passions. We then looked at some other portraits in art, also at
caricatures of presidents, and began our own self-portraits. One of the
girls drew her hair as paint brushes!

jp

---