Re: Art about bullying? - Keith Haring style posters

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2005 - 03:21:37 PST

Greetings Maggie,

Keith Haring style posters would be a natural for this
unit...He did several posters designs about bullying.
I might be able to find the specific images online.
One that I wish you could use is the one with the
figure stabbing another figure in the back. The figure
being stabbed is bent over...The figure doing the
stabbing has a cross behind his back...Powerful
message. I used it with my sixth graders. They were
very good at getting the meaning of it. Too bad I
couldn't show it to the adults in my building (smile).

You could use my lesson plan on Child Abuse Awareness
month - just tweak it (cahnge it to markers so the
social studies teacher can finsih them). Have the
kiddles brainstorm, "What kind of child gets bullied?"
I can guarantee someone will bring up the Gay kid
(they will call him a fag)....some one will bring up
the fat kids.......the "geek" (smart kids)...and so
on. Brainstorm on how to stand up to a bully....and
brainstorm what to do if the bully continues....
Brainstorm what should happen to a kid who bullies....
Design posters around ideas the kids come up with.
Laminate the posters and display around the school.
Use some of the best ones to make a PowerPoint about
bullying and what to do to present to the elementary
kids. Bullying needs to be stopped at the elementary
level (many bullies have parents who were/are
bullies....so it will be hard to change the kids).

I did a lot of research for someone last year on this
topic...I no longer have those emails - but I would be
happy to help find the resources again.

Hope this helps.

Judy Decker