Re: AEN hs rant -George Szekely

---------

TwoDucks_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Feb 29 2004 - 08:11:37 PST

In a message dated 2/29/04 10:08:24 AM, wellj44@netscape.net writes:

> TwoDucks@aol.com wrote:
>
> > After awhile the ability to create intense personal stuff can atrophy.  I
> have a wonderful video biography of artist teacher and  "national treasure"
> George Szekely which I will happily copy and share for my cost: $20.00 which
> includes postage.  This speaks very strongly to this issue across the grade
> levels (including college level!) If you are interested, please email me off
> this list.
>

> Kathy, I might be experiencing a senior moment; I know the gentleman you
> mention sounds familiar, but when I tried a Google search on his name, nothing
> came up.  Can you mention a publication or a website where he has contributed
> or been quoted?  Thanks, J.

 George Szekely is head of art education at university of kentucky.  He runs
a very unique program which puts students into an "adopted" school from their
freshman year on.  My favorite book of his is ENCOURAGING CREATIVITY IN ART
LESSONS which is in and out of print but available very inexpensively from
Amazon.com. He focuses on elementary teaching now. He is a practicing exhibited
artist, has written more journal articles that almost anyone in the NAEA and is
a frequent speaker at State and National Conferences.  He was born in a
Communist country from which his parents eventually escaped and his strong feelings
about the need for artists to have independence and intellectual freedom from
the very beginning are the theme of his professional life.  He has also
studied the role of play in art making in a very engaging manner (play is the way
that human beings learn...)  The video is an hour long and was made by one of
his graduate students.  It is edgy and artistic in itself and narrated by
George as an imaginary conversation with Victor Lowenfeld, our elementary art
pioneer. He tells of his sucesses and struggles as a student in elementary, high
school and art school, as well as his teaching years.  I have collaborated with
George at a distance and he has spoken at a Boston conference which I helped
arrange.  He is a lovely person and lives his teaching philosophy.  He is very
accessable and answers any mail sent to him.

---