cream clay possibly really dated

---------

From: Randy Menninghaus (india99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 29 2004 - 06:16:00 PST

This is in regards to Sax Cream Clay
We have used it at our High School ( the Sax Cream) successfully, but you
really need to understand that new clay tends to fall apart or doesn't
adhere well. This clay is great for hand building. You need to get it
smelly. What I mean is have the kids work the clay first with out saving
the pieces. Prepare it. Think like how bread needs a certain amount of
manipulation. I didn't notice it drying too fast for us. but we have old
clay and new clay, and the kids have been brain washed into knowing the
smelly stuff sticks together better. We keep every thing in plastic bags
tucked under the pieces and tend to dry very slowly often just opening the
bags. The pieces that fall apart simply need to be put in a bucket with a
bit of water and become clay again.

I am fairly new to clay, but I have found the smallish clay trash can that
sax sells are great and are worth the $. as the clay can sit in them and
ferment so to speak. We try to break up the clay them put it in the trash
can.

In addition using the THREE S'S Slip score and snake.... I show all three
and caution kids that new clay pieces may need all three at attachment
sites. Hope that helps you.

We use the Sax red low fire as well. it has some grog in it and does tend
to dry a bit more evenly with less shrinkage.

Randy in Maine

---