Re: Acrylic resin stained glass coasters

---------

From: jlb (wjbaas_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 28 2004 - 13:04:37 PST

An answer to the resin thing.
    I don't know if this is the same stuff you are referring to or not
but here goes:

When teaching jewelry, I had to come up with some project that would
teach skill building and allow me to build a trusting relationship with
the bozos I had in class. I stumbled across a book that suggested
alternative methods for making wearable art. I think I bought it at the
Museum in Chicago. It's called "The Art and Craft of Jewelry" by Janet
Fitch. Chronical Books.

    Cool book. It even gives a history of jewelry which I made an
assignment. (of course they loved that). This book gives the directions
I used for embedding resins. the directions are a bit lengthily to type
to the whole list, but I could e-mail them privately. In essence they
tell you to make a base form of modeling clay then construct a clay wall
around a silhouette of whatever material you're using to imbed, or
cover. Mix the resin and hardener (this is ticklish business and VERY
toxic.) Be sure not to use any tools that are not disposable. The
proportions have to be exact or the stuff will not harden. When the top
of the layer of resin is tacky you can put anything over it to imbed and
pour another layer so your object is encased in clear resin. Takes some
playing to make it work. Pitfalls I ran into included the modeling clay
(oil based) did not come off) Made a nasty mess. We were successful with
pins made from tin cans. Cut the shapes out, then painted the tin, then
resined them. Had a cool shiny finish. I can think of many other
embellishments we could have done, but my bozos loose interest easily.

I hope this helps. I found it was a whole lot cheaper to buy the resin
from a hardware store than an art supplier. The stuff I used is called
Enviro Tex. Goes a long way.

Gelato

---