Re: AEN hs rant - a class on cliches

---------

TwoDucks_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri Feb 27 2004 - 05:29:48 PST

In a message dated 2/27/2004 8:00:10 AM Eastern Standard Time, hillmjan@Berkeleyprep.org writes:

> "when can we make what WE want?". to my horror, in spite of all i have tried to get across in two years' worth of art studies, i have students drawing corner suns and copying care bears. one or two did interesting compositions but most are
> terribly disappointing to me.

I am an elementary teacher so this is not my expertise, but I offer some food for thought: being original and going deep to create engaging images take practice practice practice. Have your high school students experienced the coached opportunity to do (make art about their own personal ideas) this grades K-8 on a regular basis? A lot of schooling tells students "leave that stuff at home, you are in school now, so do this school stuff". After awhile the ability to create intense personal stuff can atrophy. I have a wonderful video biography of artist teacher and "national treasure" George Szekely which I will happily copy and share for my cost: $20.00 which includes postage. This speaks very strongly to this issue across the grade levels (including college level!) If you are interested, please email me off this list.
regards,
kathy douglas
http://knowledgeloom.org/tab