RE: AEN hs rant - a class on cliches

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (hillmjan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 27 2004 - 05:00:10 PST

Usually, when I cannot stand it anymore, I dedicate a class to cliches. We discuss what they are, The kids fill a sketchbook page with them. Then I ask the kids to leave those cliche's on that page - they've drawn them, and now we can go on to other stuff. Sometimes I ask them to keep the cliche's in their back pocket for some other day. Basically, tho, my goal is to share with the kids that those objects are so overdrawn that they no longer carry meaning. They are invited to draw them, but not as part of an art project, and preferably not on the art room at all. If I see a cliche after this 'class' I usually make some crazy big deal- not embarasssing the student but silly - about how I am soooo tired of seeing this ________ over and over and when will 'Suzy' explore again? This has been fairly successful for me - Jan (El Ed)