AEN hs rant

---------

From: wendy free (wendypaigefree_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 26 2004 - 19:52:15 PST

hi all,

what i'd really like to hear is (1) other lesson disaster stories to make me laugh (2) a "scientific" or, better yet, experience-based explanation of why kids with great skills and ideas can do really lame things when not given firm parameters and (3) how to deal with this on a philosophical level - have i created an unhealthy dependency?

my situation was with a wonderful group of second-year art students, who were between major assignments (there was lots of disparity in finishing times). even though this has been pretty much a failure every time i've done it, and i should know better, i offered a project with very open requirements, a lot of choices and options, because i always hear my students say, "when can we make what WE want?". to my horror, in spite of all i have tried to get across in two years' worth of art studies, i have students drawing corner suns and copying care bears. one or two did interesting compositions but most are terribly disappointing to me. is it my prejudice in expecting a certain form of "quality" art product? what inspires them to do stuff like this? how to cope, how to cope...

aghast,

wendy free