Re: Art Centers

---------

TwoDucks_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Thu Feb 26 2004 - 18:35:44 PST

In a message dated 2/26/04 1:45:28 PM, hillmjan@Berkeleyprep.org writes:

> Do you use these questions to evalutate yourselves, Kathy?  How do you fold
> your respnses into improving your curriculum?

We feel that choice based teaching is a most interactive process. When the
teacher presents information to the students there is pretty immediate
feedback on its interest or usefulness to the students: they can choose it or choose
something else. Over the nearly thirty years that I have taught in this
manner I have gradually eliminated a number demos that I thought were quite
wonderful--but the students did not share my enthusiasm. Taking their place are
demonstrations which are both valuable and valued by the students as shown by
the number of students who choose them. The demonstrations are not projects
but information on materials and processes and sometimes concepts. ( my students
are aged 5-9) Examples might be "How to set up a painting space"
"Reflection and Manipulation of a silkscreen series" "Stick Weaving and two new art
words--symbolism and variation

---