mask forms

---------

From: Betty Bowen (bbowen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 26 2004 - 07:00:13 PST

I really liked the gargoyle faces on Cathy's site. My students have very
little confidence and are kind of attached to using plastic mask forms. They
know they exist, they all know I have them, so they just freeze if I don't
provide the forms. I'll maybe do the gargoyles next year, but for this year
I built a kind of elf-lady-alien face and a pretty realistic (a little
prehistoric looking) skull out of Mexican clay and they are taking turns
(those who need it for their design) using those forms, with a Walmart sack
between their plaster and the form and it is working great, they are much
better starting points than the commercial forms. The Elf-lady has deep eyes
and deep eyelids and more defined lips, so they can get more detail with the
plaster, mache or starched muslin (three of our options). I did an example
of the Elflady face with starched burlap and hotglued cloth grapeleaves,
tendrils, a couple of bunches of grapes and an assortment of ribbons, a few
iridescent sequins and some sparlky iridescent paint on highlights for
inspiration and tacked it to the wall. So today all these little girls are
showing up with walmart sacks full of leaves and flowers. aren't they funny.
At least their leaves and flowers are different than mine.

I have GOT to get some photos online.

---