Re: Art Centers

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 26 2004 - 04:00:58 PST

Someone wrote:

"I can't imagine that the ideas of centers would be productive for
an extended period of time. Think of yourself, without instruction
and ideas other than your own, how long would it take you, as an adult
(with experience), to exhaust your own resources."

I'm not sure I understand what is meant in this quote ???
If the resources, materials and motivators built into the
centers are open ended, how could a child "exhaust" their
ideas. Art by it's nature is open ended unless it is presented
as a receipt with only one expected outcome. As an adult,
given a set of watercolors and paper I could paint for the
rest of my life as I plan to do. I'll only get exhausted when
I die, but my paintings will still be here hanging on my friends
walls. If we construct centers that motivate experimentation
and growth we will never exhaust a child's imagination. What
most art rooms lack is the space to allow for these centers.
                                                Woody in KC

--
28 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
My newest paintings from Taos: