Re: Art Centers

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 25 2004 - 19:03:10 PST

Sometimes my center days are called "catch-up" days for the most part. These days are when students have projects that need to be finished - usually due to absences. After a student has shown me their portfolio with all projects completed they may get out a center. This allows those who have great attendance to be rewarded by having an exploratory day. I also have reward days when classes who have achieved my goals for the 9 weeks to have exploratory days. These usually occur because a class has used proper classroom behavior so discipline problems are at a minimum.
~*~Michal~*~
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

         I have been toying with the idea of creating centers for my K-5 students. I have seen the idea before...(I think Michal has some center ideas...and there was a feature about centers in School Arts this month) but I am really looking for management advice from anyone who has done this successfully. It would be perfect if I could set it up as one of those "one day lesson" ideas - but one that teaches itself. I probably would need to set up K-2 and 3-5 centers with directions. My goal really, is to give my students time to explore art materials and ideas on their own without my input. The centers need to be somewhat portable by being in bins that I can be set up on each table and put away at the end of each class. I was thinking I could rotate groups, maybe have five centers, and we would have center day (I'll need to come up with a better name) every other month. What do you think? Is it worth all of the trouble?

---