Re: Artful Brain  ( classroom metaphor)

---------

TwoDucks_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed Feb 25 2004 - 16:30:25 PST

Teaching for Artistic Behavior (TAB) choice-based classrooms are set up to
provide authentic student-driven art experiences in public schools. We have
come to this concept from many directions (just like the commuters) Detailed
stories of creating choice based classrooms, along with how it actually plays out
in schools and research which supports it can be found at
http://knowledgeloom.org/tab. I love to go to work every day after thirty years of teaching. We
are a diverse and motivated group of teachers; take a look!
regards,
kathy douglas
http://knowledgeloom.org/tab
http://tabchoiceteaching.blogspot.com/ ---

In a message dated 2/25/04 11:35:43 AM, hillmjan@Berkeleyprep.org writes:

> This sounds like an exciting, self motivating place to be.  How did you
> evolve your classroom? ( I am assuming that upon your arrival it was more
> traditional than what you describe below).  One of my goals this year is to give the
> students more independence in the classroom - less reliance upon me.  First
> steps include showing the kids where to find paintbrushes and other supplies,
> how to care for and clean them, but not actually pass them out .  I am also
> attempting, wherever possible to either open up subject matter or materials,
> so each student has the opportunity for a more individual response to the
> assignment.  It's easy to slip back into old patterns, tho.
>
> How do you lay out curriculum for your students?
>
> Jan

---