(AEN) NEAT Figurative Sculptures! Interesting art! Ben Strawn

---------

From: Joan Dark (joandark4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 25 2004 - 13:53:23 PST

(Ben - FYI - links below)

Dear ArtsEdNetter,

I have had fun "talking" with Ben Strawn. I am hopeful
that you too will look at his art and have lesson
plans popping into your head, too. I "met" him through
the Dollmakers list - saw his Box Boy on the Show and
Tell page (see him on the Journal page)

See his site:
http://whalefishstudios.com/
Be sure to check Jessica's dolls too!

and his Web Blog (Journal):
http://www.livejournal.com/users/ben_strawn/
Everything he has written is good for kids to read,
too. I loved his comments about his processes. DO
preview the comments/links to the journal site as I
have not read all of those (one message I read did
have the "B" word - oh no)

Someday - I am going to work though a lesson using his
work...and will write it up for IAD. I have to make my
sample first. Ben's Box Boy will appear on the lesson
as a thumbnail -- with his blessing.
My problem is ...now I have way too many ideas for
what I want to make (tee-hee)...and that is a good
thing. I already know what will be inside my box
though (I have a metal fish painted on discarded tin -
came from Kenya)...Just have to decide on the rest of
my creature (It will be African inspired - and
probably not a human head)....Hmmm... just did some
exploring - I will have to make TWO of them -- the
place I want to hang mine will need one to represent
my hubby, too. The fish is me. Oh! I even know what I
am using for hubby now, too. I will be off to gather
supplies soon. Both will have Mud Cloth bodies (hubby
Bamana and me Dogon).

(Ben -- if you got down this far -- the lists are my
"journals" --Hmmm...Whalefish? I have been a fish all
my life....the name Whale Fish intrigues me. I am a
big fan of elephants, too.)

You will find Ben linked on the following pages:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/america.htm
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/crafts.htm
(under dolls)

Cheers to all,