Re: Artful Brain  ( classroom metaphor)

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 18:27:43 PST

> I think that in the visual arts our rubrics for grading should include
observed artistic behaviors such as risk taking, persistence, passion,
personal connection etc. What do you think?
> kathy douglas

The biggest fallacy in education is thinking/believing that ANY learning
fits or meets a timeline and a standard. We have only a short time ago (20
years!!!) recognized learning styles yet it seems to me we still measure by
standards that don't fully incorporate those styles. Authentic assessment
remains a buzz word as opposed to the scantron. We get all this junk thrown
at us about what we should do we make fancy rubrics and yet my
perception is, still, the teacher manipulating the criteria to the same old
standards.

I had a student a couple of years ago in AP Art. She was paralyzed to make
a commitment to a project. Yet she went through 5 sketchbooks of incredible
ideas. Her thinking process was way above anybody else but she never
"produced" but She never stopped thinking. Her passion was apparent, but
she never completed a project. She played for a year in her sketchbook. And
her "ideas" were far above what was coming from the rest of the class.

So how would you grade her? She never "made" any of her ideas

Patty

---