Re: Artful Brain (classroom metaphor)

---------

From: Joan Dark (joandark4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 18:31:47 PST

My metaphor....

Right away the "Togu Na" came to mind for me - "House
of Words" seems appropirate as I did have quotes up
all around...My classroom was a Togu Na - that is
actually what I called it with my students (sure
eliminated a bunch of discipline woes). I saw the
video "Togu Na and Checko" summer of 1998 - and used
that ever since. Togu Na means "House of Words" for
the Dogon... although we allowed both guys and gals
into our Togu Na of course. Here is where I mention it
on my site:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/masktoda.htm
Nice photograph:
http://wpni01.auroraquanta.com/pv/dogon?img=1916
Students could talk about what was on their minds
without fear in my classroom - and that was a good
thing.

This is nice - some viewing questions for the video -
whoever wrote these read my mind:
http://arts.fab.unomaha.edu/art/sowell/ART2040/video3.html

More resources for Mali:
http://www.nmafa.si.edu/educ/mali/res.htm
http://www.nmafa.si.edu/educ/mali/index.htm

Thanks Patty for getting this topic moving! I hope the
other lists visit it. If we are to keep the Archives
alive - they are going to have to get use.

Judith