Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: Artful Brain (classroom metaphor)

From: Joan Dark (joandark4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 18:31:47 PST

My metaphor....

Right away the "Togu Na" came to mind for me - "House
of Words" seems appropirate as I did have quotes up
all around...My classroom was a Togu Na - that is
actually what I called it with my students (sure
eliminated a bunch of discipline woes). I saw the
video "Togu Na and Checko" summer of 1998 - and used
that ever since. Togu Na means "House of Words" for
the Dogon... although we allowed both guys and gals
into our Togu Na of course. Here is where I mention it
on my site:
Nice photograph:
Students could talk about what was on their minds
without fear in my classroom - and that was a good

This is nice - some viewing questions for the video -
whoever wrote these read my mind:

More resources for Mali:

Thanks Patty for getting this topic moving! I hope the
other lists visit it. If we are to keep the Archives
alive - they are going to have to get use.

--- Patricia Knott <> wrote:

> A metaphor for your classroom was an essay topic in
> one of my grad classes.
> It's a very useful exercise. Think about your
> metaphor.
> Thanks, Peggy for thinking about it.
> Patty

Do you Yahoo!?