Re: Artful Brain

---------

From: Peggy Woolsey (eoolspeg_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 17:21:09 PST

The metaphor for my class room is that of a boat with an open deck. The
reality of water, even cold water splashing you in the face, the wind
mussing your hair, the rock and roll of the boat making you move your
body--these things happen in art class. There is a certain deference
to the energy of natural forces. No one's head is down sleeping in my
classroom. We are active. We are watching for the next wave, or else we
are surprised and get a little wet. Our time together is vivid. All are
welcome to get the boat sailing. Look lively!
On Tuesday, February 24, 2004, at 06:02 PM, Patricia Knott wrote:

> I don't know what the truth is any art work. I'm always challenged by
> new perceptions. The only truth is that a work has enough in it that a
> reaction is caused.      It's all Metaphor.   and are we teaching > that?
> > Most great works or art - be it Western or Indian - are pregnant
> with metaphor
> > and have many layers of meaning.
>
> I hope I live long enough to see some convergence of the old and the
> new.    I want to see emphasis on technique replaced by metaphor in
> art teaching.    What is your metaphor for how you teach?  how is your
> classroom a metaphor?
>
> what a lesson to use "squarism "  or "dottilism" as a metaphor.
>
> Marvin, I want to hear your answers to your own questions.
>
> We are very lucky to have this Getty group to bounce around ideas. We
> help each other with the nuts and bolts of day to day survival.
>   .....    But so often I yearn for thoughts about where we are headed
> in this business   where is the research going to take us?    and
> sometimes I think the Getty "goes down" because we aren't talking
> thinking stuff enough. Remember, Getty was the force and guts behind
> DBAE    and maybe they are looking for another  avenue to get on,  to
> get behind    to justify     once again .
>
> Just some rambling thoughts
>
> Patty
> ---
> leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu