Youth Art Month-almost a disaster!!

---------

From: Jeryl Hollingsworth (holl5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 19:03:46 PST

Our county arts council does a youth art month display every year with a
very nice opening reception for students and parents and prizes etc.. We can
submit 5 pieces. Every year my school's PTO pays for the pieces I select to
be professionally mounted and then when the display is over they pay for the
pieces to be framed and added to our school's permanent collection. We
always have to turn our art in the last week of Feb. and the reception is
usually the first week end in March. I've been planning for a month what
pieces I will take, letting faculty vote on the winners,etc... Its a big
deal. So... I had the pieces at the framers last week planning to take it
all in today to the arts council on the way to a dr. appointment. I pulled
the envelope of info out of my mail box where I had stuck it a month ago and
....the deadline was last Friday to submit!!! I almost died!! I had a nail
biting hour until they opened at 9:00 am when I planned to call and beg and
throw myself on their mercy. Luckily, I've been bringing them pieces for 16
years and always bring one or two grade levels to visit the exhibit during
the month so they know me . The director said, "no problem, I wondered where
your stuff was, we haven't even starting hanging the elementary exhibit- get
it down here!!. "I could have cried (again!! )And the worst thing about the
almost disaster--I had chosen 6 circus cars plus the engine made by some
first graders as one of my pieces--it was a bear (no pun intended) to get
matted -over 120 inches!! And it seemed like everybody in the school (PTO
moms included) had helped me pick out the cars and figure out to get it
mounted. Anyway, I had to back up to my door and dodge rain showers to get
in the back of the Explorer!! As they say,,All's well that ends well!
                Jeryl in SC

---