drawing to music

---------

From: sandra summers-barrick (tamayo_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 15:07:38 PST

just a note on this lesson, which I haven't read yet, You can also do a
fun drawing to music lesson which I did last year with deaf kids (with
cochlea implants). I had a bin/tray of markers in the middle of each
table. I then instructed the kids to start with one marker and to draw
on their paper until they heard the music stop. When it stopped I told
them they had to switch to a different color of markers. We would do
this for one or sometimes two songs. Generally one song length and then
do another drawing for another song/score. When we were through with
each song I'd ask how many colors do you have on your paper? How many
times did I pause/stop the music? Does it match? Most kids were abstract
kids, some actually would draw landscapes. Later we progressed to
drawing the person across from you. More gesture drawing then anything
else.
Sandra

Joan Dark wrote:

> I hope I am not too late. The ideal lesson for 6th
> grade rowdy boys would be painting to music - See
> Larry Seiler's Kandinsky lesson. Many have done this
> since and all have been 100% successful:
> http://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/Toolbox/RespondingMusic/

---