Re: really quick painting lesson -Maggie (Greg)

---------

From: Joan Dark (joandark4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 14:09:58 PST

(Greg - this is Judy D. on Getty list - long storoy)

Maggie and all,

I hope I am not too late. The ideal lesson for 6th
grade rowdy boys would be painting to music - See
Larry Seiler's Kandinsky lesson. Many have done this
since and all have been 100% successful:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/Toolbox/RespondingMusic/

Pick a couple different types of music - two
distinctly different beats/tempos.

I would recommend they do the black with India Ink or
thinned acrylic (I don't remember what Larry
recommends). The colors then are applied the next day
with tempera - You can make it any kind of color
lesson you want. Wouldn't it be great if you had some
of Greg Percy's songs to play too?
http://www.geocities.com/gpercy1/artsongs/
(hmmm his site is down right now)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/percy2
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/gregpercy
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/percy

I don't remember the composer Kandinsky listened to
--but it is in the Getty archives (may be on my links
page too?)
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/kandinsky.htm

I think the Kandinsky lesson is good material for
another song for Greg...Maybe I ought to put a bug in
his ear? (here is the "buzz" Greg).

Judith