Re:Claymation unit

---------

From: Donald Peters (softsnow_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 10:14:25 PST

I am also currently doing Claymation thanks to a grant (guess great minds
think alike =p)
My sixth grade students are creating short animations on violence prevention
(since I'm in a high-violence school.

My students are still building their characters. Hopefully we'll get some
animation finished! We will be doing *live* animation with a digital video
camera hooked directly to the computer through a firewire connection and
using Stop Motion Pro (a great program)

I use most of the examples I've found on the net as what NOT to do. We are
using aluminum wire/epoxy armatures, VanAken Modeling clay, and Delrin ball
bearings for eyes.

Im instructing in the Aardman animation technique (as close as possible
anyways). I have a personal interest in animation/stop motion and have built
myself a nice little collection of books, examples, posters, supplies thanks
to E-Bay. ; D

I considered applying for a job at Aardman this month as they had some
openings in animation and set building, but as the positions are in England,
I would've probably had to leave my zoo (4 dogs, 4 cats and 3 turtles)
behind. Couldn't bring myself to even consider that.

Europe has a much higher appreciation for animation than the states. I WOULD
KILL to be able to see 'Creature Comforts' which is playing on English
television now. Oh well.

Donald Peters
Lubbock, Texas
>Every day after school I took the digital camera home and loaded the images
>into my computer and onto CD. We don't have a CD burner at my school. Then
>that group could get on the computer (it took a month to find a computer in
>the system that could handle the load, it turned out my school librarian
>had
>one she never used) and do the animating through StopMotionPro software,
>which was awesome.
>
>It took a long time, but I ended up with nineteen animations, most with
>hundreds of images.
>
>Betty

Watch high-quality video with fast playback at MSN Video. Free!