RE: glue -PVA?

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (hillmjan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 20 2004 - 04:50:09 PST

Found this at www.thistothat.com

PVA Glues
Plain old white glue

PVA (Polyvinyl acetates) are probably the most common adhesive on the market. They come in a variety of formulas, all ever so slightly different, and specific to what they are designed to glue. Here are some tips for using Polyvinyl acetates.

All PVAs are designed to work on porous materials only
PVAs are water based, and clean up with warm soapy water.
PVA is only toxic to ingest, it does not emit any harmful fumes, and is not hazardous to touch
PVA sets best in good air circulation, at room temperature.
PVAs need pressure to adhere, see our info on clamping.
Most PVAs are not water proof. The yellow PVAs have a higher moisture resistance than the white ones, but neither are completely water proof.
Never allow your PVAs to freeze. This breaks down the polymers and your glue will be rendered useless!
 from www.Thistothat.com

Yellow PVAs have a shorter shelf life than white PVAs.
Be wary of over priced PVAs that claim to be for a specific use. There is very little difference from one PVA to the other, and nothing that should increase the cost.
Although PVA is not a gap filler, in some cases you can add sawdust to it to increase it's gap filling ability.

Jsan