African American Printmakers

---------

From: Joan Dark (joandark4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 19 2004 - 18:22:59 PST

Dear Arts EdNetters,

Thanks to Christine recent interest in African
American engraver Earl M. Washington, I have been
looking up more prints pulled by him. Many of the
prints that have his signature are not actually
designed by him - he simply pulled the print from the
block (on those he signed Sc E. M. Washington). Many
of the images I found on the web are actually the art
of Hale Woodruff. (Betty, are you at all familiar with
Earl Washington?)

If anyone is interested in all of the links I found
during the list down time- let me know (off list). I
have two African American Printmakers linked to my
site - Dox Thrash and Elizabeth Catlett - on the
African American Artists page and Printmaking page. I
will NOT be linking up all of the sites I found. I
also found a great site for many types of prints:
http://www.mleestonefineprints.com/

I just "discovered" Hildegarde Haas today. If I knew
of her before - I had forgotten about her.
Exhibition of her work (two pages of images)
http://www.mleestonefineprints.com/exhibitions/haas1.html
While you are at this site - be sure to explore
Elizabeth Catlett prints too
http://www.mleestonefineprints.com/exhibitions/catlett.html
More of her works:
http://www.mleestonefineprints.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?Catlett,-Elizabeth
M.Lee Stone Fine Prints - by medium:
http://www.mleestonefineprints.com/techniques.html
African American Artists:
http://www.mleestonefineprints.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?African-American-Artist

This page for Haas takes a while to load:
http://www.annexgalleries.com/cgi-bin/gallery-preview.cgi?Hildegarde-Haas
While at this site - take a look at the prints of
Gustave Baumann:
http://www.annexgalleries.com/baumann-woodcuts.html

Judith

=====