AP Art History classes

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 14 2004 - 10:45:56 PST

> I just found out that I might be teaching AP Art History next year. It seems
that I am the only art teacher in the school system that has enough graduate
credits to do so. ( I am working on my masters and will have 18 of 30
credits
> completed towards my master of arts in art education at the end of May.)
...I'm going to go read up on my art history!

I suggest that you visit the AP web site and investigate the requirements
for AP Art History. Having a Masters in Art Ed does not guarantee success.
Having very strong history knowledge and a love of the history will.
AP Art History is not something to be thrown at a teacher (as no AP course
should be). AP Art History is the typical college freshmen year Art History
course. No matter which text you select - Gardner, Janson.... you have to
cover the whole book from the ancient to the modern, and have the visuals to
go with it. This is not a "hands on" class and you have to teach writing
skills -- analyzing, compare/contrast ---- it's not just memorizing and
identifying.
Every teacher I know that has taken this on has spent soooooo much time
preparing. It's a very intense class to teach, and that's on top of the
studio classes you will still have to teach.
If you do have to do this, I suggest you take one of the courses offered by
the AP Board. I took the AP Art History course several years ago and I
still can't bring myself to propose the class at my school because I know I
would kill my self in preparation. Even though I consider myself very
knowledgeable in the history, and love it I just can't see myself
spending all the time to get all the visuals together and meet the grueling
schedule of getting through it all.

Good luck, but don't say yes to something you are not familiar with. This is
a bear of a course. (And most districts put lots of pressure on the teacher
to get good student results in the AP tests)

Patty

---