Implementation of Arts Standards

---------

From: knitzber (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 14 2004 - 10:32:06 PST

I wanted to share some information on a Standards
Assessment workshop I gave today at Blake Upper School in
Mpls., MN. which I presented to a portion of their faculty
dealing with
implementing and assessing grad standards focusing in the on
arts at the high school level. As the session seemed to go
extremely well, I thought that I would share the following
information as it might be of some value to this group.

The arts faculty (including a technology teacher, 2
communication instructors, a social studies / humanities
teacher, 2 music teachers, a dance / drama teacher, and
several visual arts teachers representing different media
disciplines), are looking at delineating which standards are
applicable to students in their particular disciplines, and
how to
best go about creating packages to implement those standards
in the classroom.

The workshop lasted all day long (8:30 - 2:30 with a
marvelous lunch included at the Blake cafeteria), so I had
plenty of time to discuss some of the history behind the
creation of standards, aspects of their workability within
the structure of the classroom, and a range of perspectives
from art educator to district facilitator dealing with a
variety of issues that I have been involved in and witness
to regarding their implementation.

I put together a looseleaf binder of materials that I
thought would be of value to the faculty involved and
distributed them as a resource and center of the day's
conversation. The material consisted of the following
items:

1) The language of the Literature and the Arts Standards
under the MN. Profile of Learning initiative
2) A sample checklist from a task that was a part of one of
the Arts Creation and Performance Standard packages that I
had
written and was subsequently adopted in the Anoka-Hennepin
School District
3) A diagram I had constructed illustrating the components
of Quality Classroom Assessment (shared with the AEM Board a
couple of years ago)
4) Anoka H.S. Grad Standard Implementation - Assessment
Inservice Outline
5) Reflections that were published regarding the
aforementioned
outline concerning further discussion on the points that
were made
6) A Grad Standard Package template from my district
7) An example of how to use student checklists to help in
the holistic scoring of the work done on a package across
all of the tasks that make it up
8) An explanation of how to discuss Grad Standards with
students in order to demystify them and explain their
importance to the education that they were receiving
9) The Large Processes and Conceptual Structures of
Graduation
Standards Areas of Learning - MN Dept. of Children, Families
and Learning
10) Scoring the MN High Standards with Quality Criteria
(Rubrics) - MN Dept. of Children, Families and Learning
11) Education Update - Designing Performance Assessment
Tasks - by Philip Cohen (August, 1995)
12) Education Update - On the Cutting Edge of Assessment -
by Scott Willis (June, 1996)
13) Update - Making Assessment Meaningful - by John O'Neil
(August, 1994)
14) Secondary Level Rubric Structure for Assessing Work -
adapted from 'Assessment In Education', by Donna Kay Beattie
15) Secondary Art Courses in the Anoka - Hennepin School
district isted by standard
16) Graduation Standard Package Tasks for H.S. Packages -
Anoka - Hennepin School District
17) ArtsConnected information used in conjunction with
implementing the Arts Analysis and Interpretation Standard

These tools seemed to have been well received in accordance
with the various discussions that we had over the course of
the day, to develop a further understanding of how standards
in the arts areas can be implemented through effectively
designing packages and assessing student work through the
process of working towards the completion of those packages.

If anyone is interested in more information regarding the
above documents, I would be happy to share that information.

Kevan

---