Kindergarten ideas for Tracy

---------

From: Joan Dark (joandark4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 14 2004 - 09:34:41 PST

Dear ArtsEdNetters,

Tracy had some questions that went unanswered:

From Tracy Conley:

Does anyone have any lesson plans for Kindies? I have
4 classes twice a week for 30 min. Yes, I see them
8 times a week!! I would like to try a project that
last more than 2 or 3 class periods? My only problem I
might have with that is how to get their names on
something like paper mache? or clay?

Tracy, Kindergarten ideas were shared on the list in
September - you might browse the archives - plus check
IAD (including Early Childhood). I would recommend
doing comprehensive lessons - involve
music/dance/movement. Get them acting out, too. They
will remember so much more what you are teaching than
if you rush through the Ps and Es. Jeryl has fun doing
her lessons around the alphabet. You could do that or
take it slow with each Element. I have already listed
Greg Percy's songs about colors - buy the CD's you
will not regret it.
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/color.htm
You will also get "I Draw the Line" in Volume I. Have
the kiddies go on a "line hunt" throughout the school
- make it a real adventure to see how many different
types of lines they can spot.

Once they are familiar with the elements, you can move
on to specific artists. Elementary students love Henri
Rousseau. Greg's song "Where's the Tiger" is sure to
be a big hit! That is on Volume III. YOU will also get
the big hit "Bad Day in the Art Room" -- perfect song
for picture taking day. Kids will have a blast doing
the Bad hair Day lesson along with that song. I have
added a link to Ger's Volume iii on the Rousseau ideas
page:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/Rousseau.htm

On putting names on Kindies' work:

How about making name stickers? Kids love stickers. I
think they would have fun putting their sticker on the
plastic bag or board for clay - or on their board for
paper mache. You can then score the name into the
bottom of the clay project yourself later. The sticker
could be put on the bottom of paper mache when dry.
You could even have the kindies put their name
stickers on the back of their 2-D work. I know how
much fun it is to read kindies' names on projects when
they write them themselves - so DO have them sign
them, too.

Hope this helps,

Judith

=====