Re: good printers??

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 14 2004 - 07:21:56 PST

>Can someone recommend a good printer, one with good
> color quality that can ALSO run heavier weight paper like
> watercolor paper thru it? I have HS photo students doing
> art prints in Photoshop and all they can print on is regular
> computer paper.

Deb...

I accepted a position to be a technology integration leader for our
district, and the carrot on the stick was about $1500 to be used as I saw
fit in my room so long as it was technology. I purchased a Palm T3
handheld....and the Epson 2200 printer.

The printer has seven separate ink cartridges at $10.95 each...with a
projected archival life of 80 years, (depending upon how you value such
projections this might be significant). It has a rear feed for heavier
papers....and I've been using Epson's recommended Velvet Fine Art paper for
such. I have some Enhanced Matte paper coming as well. It will take paper
up to 13" x 19"...but, it can also take paper on a roll feed.

The print quality is absolutely some of the best I've seen. In fact, I
believe it rivals anything that is coined "giclee"...and I have printed out
some of my own paintings as prints from a digital camera that are gallery
quality.

Higher quality papers are expensive...about $30 for 20 sheets of 8.5 x
11...and $38-48 for 13x 19 sizes....

Of course you could experiment with other papers...but, Epson like so many
other companies does not guarantee optimum results not to mention inks might
not sit right on other papers and create eventually dirty results.

Its a marvel...I'll say that much! Cost about $800....and I bought an extra
set of inks right away.

My supplier and source was out of Illinois, http://www.cdwg.com
and they are super to work with....

Larry Seiler
My websites-
http://www.artlandishconcepts.org
http://www.absolutearts.com/portfolios/l/lseiler/

Member of NAPPAP- "National Academy of Professional Plein Air Painters"
http://nappap.org

"Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do!"
Edgar Degas

---