Re: Censorship and Oppression

---------

From: Vicki Leishman (vicki_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 23:35:31 PST

Dear ArtsEdNetters,

I have been following the discussion of censorship on this list with
interest, and decided to raise it on an Australian education discussion
list to find out whether any educators here have had similar experiences,
or were aware of any guidelines. To date there have not been many responses
but the following is one I particularly liked for its balanced viewpoint.

P.S. I've never seen David in his short skirt (actually I've never seen
David) so I don't know whether complaints would be justified, but I am
assured it is a determining factor in the continuing success of his
basketball team.

Cheers,
Vicki (Perth, Western Australia)

Hi Judith & Vicki,

It's interesting how both sides show little tolerance for the others
views.
Small "L" liberals battle the "reactionary red-necks". However both
sides play a vital role in maintaining a balance in society.
Think of a car with only a accelerator or conversely only brakes. The
first runs the risk of running out of control and crashing, the second
of not going anywhere. The teachers who see themselves as dragging the
rest of society to their exalted world view may be as arrogant as those
who wish to remain in the "Golden" years (the 1950's or may be even the
1850's ).
Perhaps we can run the risk of pushing our own agenda and forget that we
are in partnership with the parents of the students we teach, and that
they have values that may be in conflict with our own.

My two cents worth (change please)

TTFN,
David

PS I haven't been told off yet for wearing very short skirts or having
my bra strap showing but I'm sure they'll catch up with me one day. ;-)

---