RE: AEN Getting Old

---------

From: Vicki Leishman (vicki_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 18:00:10 PST

Dear ArtsEdNetters,

I don't normally forward these type of things on but it made my day and
it's good to start the day with a laugh. At least I now know I can blame it
on the lead.

Best Wishes,
Vicki (Perth, Western Australia

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats,
those of us who were kids
>in the 50's, 60's,70's and early 80's probably
shouldn't have survived,
>because...
>
>Our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured
lead-based paint that was
>promptly chewed and licked.
>
>We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, or
latches on doors or
>cabinets and it was fine to play with the lids.
>
>When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip
flops and fluorescent
>'clackers' on our wheels.
>
>We would as children ride in cars with no seat belts
or airbags - riding in
>the passenger seat was a treat.
>
>We drank water from the garden hose and not from a
bottle and it tasted the
>same.
>
>We ate dripping sandwiches, bread and butter pudding
and drank fizzy pop
>with sugar in it, but we were never overweight
because we were always
>outside playing.
>
>We shared one drink with four friends, from one
bottle or can and no one
>actually died from this.
>
>We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps
and then went top
>speed
>down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.
>
>After running into stinging nettles a few times, we
learned to solve the
>problem.
>
>We would leave home in the morning and play all day,
as long as we were
>back
>before it got dark. No one was able to reach us all
day and no one minded.

>We did not have Play stations or X-Boxes, no video
games at all.

>No 99 channels on TV, no videotape movies, no
surround sound, no mobile
>phones, no personal computers, no Internet chat
rooms.

>We had friends, we went outside and found them.
>
>We played elastics and street rounders, and sometimes
that ball really
>hurt.
>
>We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and
teeth, and there were no
>lawsuits. They were accidents. We learnt not to do
the same thing again.

>We had fights, punched each other hard, and got black
and blue we learned
>"get over it".
>
>We walked to friend's homes.
>
>We also, believe it or not, WALKED to school; we
didn't rely on mummy or
>daddy to drive us to school, which was just round the
corner.

>We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate
live stuff, and
>although we were told it would happen, we did not
have very many eyes out,
>nor did the live stuff live inside us forever.
>
>We rode bikes in packs of seven and wore our coats by
only the hood.

>Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected.
The idea of a parent
>bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They
actually sided with
>the law. Imagine that!
>
>This generation has produced some of the best
risk-takers and problem
>solvers and inventors, ever.
>
>The past 50 years have been an explosion of
innovation and new ideas. We
>had
>freedom, failure, success, and responsibility, and we
learned how to deal
>with it all.
>
>And you're one of them. Congratulations!
>
>Pass this on to others who have had the luck to grow
up as "real" kids,
>before lawyers and government regulated our lives,
for our own good.

>This my friends, is surprisingly frightening...and it
might put a smile on
>your face.
>
>The majority of students in universities today were
born in 1983... They
>are
>called youth.
>
>They have never heard of We are the World, We are the
children, and the
>Uptown Girl they know is by Westlife not Billy Joel.
>
>They have never heard of Rick Astley, Bananarama,
Nena Cherry or Belinda
>Carlisle.
>
>For them, there has always been only one Germany and
one Vietnam. AIDS has
>existed since they were born. CD's have existed since
they were born.
>Michael Jackson has always been white.
>
>To them, John Travolta has always been round in shape
and they can't
>imagine
>how this fat guy could be a god of dance. They
believe that Charlie's
>Angels
>and Mission Impossible are just new films out last
year. They can never
>imagine life before computers. They've never heard of
Pac-Man or Space
>Invaders or BBC computers that have Bat n Ball games.
They'll never have
>pretended to be the A Team, Red Hand Gang or the
Famous Five. They can't
>believe a black and white television ever existed and
don't even know how
>switch on a TV without a remote control. And they
will never understand how
>we could leave the house without a mobile phone.
>

>Now let's check if we're getting old...
>
>1. You understand what was written above and you
smile.

>2. You need to sleep more, usually until the
afternoon, after a night out.

>3. Your friends are getting married.
>
>4. You are always surprised to see small children
playing comfortably with
>computers.
>
>5. When you see teenagers with mobile phones, you
shake your head.

>6.You've developed more and more feelings about your
work. It's now your
>life.
>
>7. You spend less and less time talking on 'phone
with your friends daily.

>8. You meet your friends from time to time, talking
about the good old
>days,
>repeating again and again all funny stories you have
experienced together.

>9. Having read this mail, you are thinking of
forwarding it to some other
>friends because you think they will like it too...
>
>Yes, you're getting older !!!!
>
>And its great!?!

---