RE: Art Fairs

---------

From: cen_aca_dp (cen_aca_dp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 10:43:27 PST

I hope this is what you are looking for. If not, please disregard! Our school
began having a Spring Celebration of the Arts each March to coincide with YAM
and Music In Our Schools Month. We are a 2 building district (K-12), so I team
up with the music, band, CAD, and Tech prep teachers to put this together. The
first year we had this, our superintendent didn't even plan on showing up for
the event- he didn't think many would come, but we proved him wrong. More
people show up for this show than ANY sports event all year!!
I am elementary (K-12) and see over 500 students a week. I make it my goal to
have each and every student represented at this show. I never want to hear a
parent ask their child, "Where is your artwork?" and have the student reply,
"I didn't get one in the show" or "Mine isn't good enough". I heard that too
many times at a district in which I taught part time a few years ago.
We have the performances occurring on stage in one gym, my classes' artwork in
another gym, hands-on art in classrooms, art demos in the hallways, and a
featured artist from the area. Also, we sell food that is donated by our music
boosters, which raises well over $1000 each year. This year, we have decided
to use some of that money to award a scholarship to a student going into an
arts related field.
This is our fifth year and the theme is "5 Alive". We sell t-shirts with a
designed logo and the students wear them for the performances that night. This
show is looked forward to each year by students and parents alike and
continues to grow.
I truly feel that this art show (celebration, fair, whatever you want to call
it) is invaluable for the students and benefits me as well. I do not look upon
this as something that I have to do to be validated, but as a gift to the
students, their families, and the community. The look on the kids faces as
they show off their work is validation enough for me. (And if I win over a few
supporters, all the better!)
If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. I could go on & on, but
I didn't want to bore anyone. :)

Denise Pannell
Defiance, OH

>===== Original Message From Judi Morgan <judi.morgan@sgs.org> =====
>Hello everyone. I need some input. Do any of your schools have art
>fairs? If so, what grades, what format, what successes/failures and
>finally what is your personal feeling about them?

---