RE: Art Fairs

---------

From: Judi Morgan (judi.morgan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 09:13:30 PST

Hello everyone. I need some input. Do any of your schools have art
fairs? If so, what grades, what format, what successes/failures and
finally what is your personal feeling about them? My school is K-12,
we've had unsuccessful fairs for many years (that I have fought to keep
going). In the last couple of years we added a very central art gallery
to the upper/middle school where I have exhibits complete with artist
receptions, invitations, etc. to spotlight each group of artists I
have--with the finale being senior/AP/Independent Art students (just
before AP). We are showing our work in the community (which wasn't
happening before) and entering competitions (which wasn't happening
before). By May my students are DONE. Their work has been seen, their
efforts acknowledged. My feeling is that the fair is now "on paper
support" with no substance. Most students have voiced the same opinion.
I do think it is necessary for the younger students and they have a
perfect event to connect the art fair to-- a writers celebration. My
thought is to have my older students focus on a fair for the younger
students--help them with matting, hanging, perhaps a few booths or art
scavenger hunt...but drop a fair specifically for them so late in the
year. Am I crazy? Or "defeatist" as I have been called for not wanting
to try again for upper school (after 10 years). (I guess one of my
arguments is that they would never think of having the basketball team
put on "a little show" after their season is over with just to prove to
everyone that they are "supported"!) Help.

Judi Morgan