Re: Project with sayings

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 09 2004 - 20:44:44 PST

Teresa Holt wrote:

> I was trying to think of a project part of my class could work on today
> while I was spending some one-on one time with my second graders working
> on another project. I came up with a list of saying that they had to
> illustrate. The results were delightful !

This is similar to a lesson I've used off and on, using a list of idioms
with body parts in them (I've got you in the palm of my hand; the apple
of my eye; knee-high to a grasshopper; etc.). It is, as you found out,
a really fun assignment. I've used it with reading students and LEP
students (to learn American idioms) and art students learning to draw
the human figure. I've also done it as a sculpture project with great
results. The ingeniousness and hilarity of the students'
interpretations always crack me up. (BTW, I don't explain the meaning
of the idiom they've chosen until after they've finished; they
illustrate the literal meaning of it.)

Maggie

---