Set up a committee to determine "age appropriate" art

---------

From: Joan Dark (joandark4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 09 2004 - 10:35:54 PST

Dear ArtsEdNetters,

I was one of the lucky ones. No one ever complained
about an image I showed -- or a topic I covered (well
-- except when I showed a video with the Egyptian
Creation Narrative -- we all know there can only be
One Narrative -- smile).

I am playing around seeing what I can find on this
topic. The best I can find right now is for a
committee to be set up - including administrator, art
teacher, parents and maybe a board member to review
what they determine to be age appropriate material.
Language arts teachers have been through this over and
over again. Many of the books I was allowed to read
are no longer on the book shelves at my former high
school (where I graduated).

Without any written policy in effect right now - you
have nothing to fear.

I did find this Getty post interesting:
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/hm/Sep00/1412.html
If this doesn't go the right place - it is September
2000 - just scroll to the controversy thread.

I am hopeful parents and administrators will come to
terms. I would hate to see you have to get "permission
to view" slips signed just to show a wonderful video
of Faith Ringgold's work that was made FOR children to
view.

Views on art are formed very early in life... You can
not easily change the views of an adult - but you can
a child. We had our own fun way of dealing with closed
minded adult views (shhhh). I will only give that
advice off list now... I did write about it once - so
it is in the archives...It was just never an issue in
my class -- but I taught middle school. (I also knew
that many of my kids were watching "South Park" and
"Sex in the City")

Things will never change -- unless we make them
change... I sure would hate to see you ripping out
pages of books just to please a few. Books are far too
valuable! My kids never could understand all of the
book burnings though time. Let's NOT "burn" art books.

Cheers!

Judith