Re: my art books have been confiscated for decency HELP

---------

From: Kathy Houston (khouston_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 09 2004 - 03:51:49 PST

Please let me clarify. I had 28 geese in my class that I received from
grant money. Part of my grant was to have the students create a goose in
a style of a signature artist. Since the children needed to do research
on the artist that they wanted to immulate they were asked to research
through printed and non-print material. I spoke to all the children in
advance about art and seeing things in some of the text that may be more
than they were use to seeing. I call it my "nudie" speach. I make sure
to have parents in my room during th discussion and afterwards I ask
them to critique what I had said to the students. I also used text from
the library and a set of books that say on the front ART FOR Children.
 In the Matisse book they have a nude painting. This is only my second
year for teaching but my mother taught for ten years and was in the room
also during the lecture. I have taught for fifteen years all together.
 I also take the sixth grade class to the art museum each year. What do
you do then? Does anyone have a letter that they send out to parents
that addresses this issue. I appreciate your comments and maybe I
should only have one or tow examples out but I think that censors the
child. For gosh sakes my books that are written for children have
nudes. I am frustrated and scared. I have contacted my Union building
rep and have been on the phone to Marti Bellise for advice. My
principal says no need to bring anything to the meeting but I feel it
may be needed. Thanks for all of your support Kathy

---