Re: [art_education] Wipe out

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 09 2004 - 05:53:15 PST

Patricia Knott wrote:
> (And I must say, when I saw the "Wipe-out" Woody subject line, I
> thought, oh my, Woody has taken up surfing and moving to California
> instead of New Mexico and listening to the Beach Boys)

Patty,
        There is an abundance of beach in New Mexico, just very little water.
So, no I won't "wipe out" in Albuquerque.

But I want to comment on one very serious line in your quote.

> I worry about teacher direction versus teacher hand .

This too was a big concern of mine in teaching art. In part because
I controled the lesson inorder to teach certain things of move students
in a certain direction. My students showed a fair amount of technique
and successful end products. I continually worried if they were my
brushes or were they using their own minds. I believe good teaching
is a balance and I hope I gave them an ability to do their own thing
within the structue I provided. And I hope they went away with the
courage to be successful without me.
                                        Thinking Back, Woody in KC

--
28 Quality Middle School Art Lessons