Re: comments on perfectionism

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 08 2004 - 08:13:33 PST

> As a fellow Wisconsinite, I know you must have been an accomplished
> wild life painter to win those acknowledgements, but now I understand
> your signature quote Nicely stated!
> Jude

hahaha....thanks Jude...nice to make your acquaintance as well. Wisconsin I
found has been a very trying state to live in aesthetically. I think the
most my epitaph and inscription on my headstone can read one day is, "I
tried!"

After my sons graduated about 6 years ago...as empty nesters my wife and I
had plans to head out west and settle amongst areas of my landscape/nature
painting peers with more arts culture minded patronage. (Sedonna, AZ;
Jackson Hole, WY; Laguna Beach, CA etc)

I love Wisconsin for its scenery and paintability...but its football/beer
culture made living off my art for the 12 years I wasn't teaching very
difficult. We stayed put...committed to wait, so that our boys would have
some solid foundation, a home...friends and so forth. When our chance
came...my wife became ill with fibroymalgia and restless leg syndrome. She
is on SSDI, and that more or less put a kabotch to my plans as an Arteest!

I still paint for galleries and some competitions, but paint mostly for
myself these days. As a form of celebration. I'll be teaching more and
more plein air summer workshops... for always in the back of my mind ...is
the questionable nature of budget cuts and fickle legislature. Such that it
is, I might have to return to full time painting again. Nothing seems sure
or what might be called a stable career teaching art in the public schools.
A move might yet be necessary down the road to find a proper market.

But yes...over the years, we have had some very very fine artists here in
Wisconsin. IN fact, that goes back to the Impressionist influences of the
German artists that immigrated to Milwaukee in the late 1800's to take on
work painting large movie backdrops. They were called the "Panoramic
Painters" and often got together in the rural areas to paint.
peace...

Larry
My websites-
http://www.artlandishconcepts.org
http://www.absolutearts.com/portfolios/l/lseiler/

Member of NAPPAP- "National Academy of Professional Plein Air Painters"
http://nappap.org

"Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do!"
Edgar Degas

---