Re: Wipe out "perfectionism" - when it comes to art

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 07 2004 - 07:02:59 PST

Greetings all from the real "Judy Decker".....

OK -- I am breaking my own new rule... I am going to post with my Road
Runner account and put another email address out there for the bots to pick
up.... More Spam for me -- more Virus emails for me...oh well....

Thank you Woody for bringing this topic to Getty list for me....AND thank
you Larry for your beautiful post (that I will share with the other lists --
via the archives). Oh please folks -- let us not "Wipe out Woody"!

Larry - I like teaching my lessons using stories too....but I won't bore all
of you with my stories today.

Just remember that striving for Excellence -- and Perfectionsim - are not
the same thing.

Also remember there are four theories of Aesthetics -- for a very good
reason....and remember there are at least four styles of expression....Maybe
one of your students will hit upon a new one?

I was a "slow learner"..... It took me along time to learn the right ways to
teach art. I am just hoping to put some of the new list mebers on the fast
track. My own son taught me a lot...and I will be forever greatful! I thank
him all the time.

By all means DO teach them to draw from observation - that is so important -
just be open to the ways they see things, too. It does them no service when
you point out that you see it differently (at least not to a child). And DO
teach them to follow your lead (Aaccckk! Linda - I know a teacher who does
the same as you -- the kids all do the same work -- boring!)... But be open
to ways they interpret your instructions. I think I told you abou tthe
class I took one summer where everyone thought I was given different
assignments? I assured them I was doing the same lessons - just my own
interpretation. I used that with my students for years and it worked!

I did enjoy seeing one of my topics end up on Getty list...To anyone who is
a member of the other lists. You ALL have my permission to share the topic
with Getty.

Have a Great Day! (and thank to all who have emailed me that they "miss" me)

Judy Decker

P.S. My Getty mail IS the reason this deluge of Spam and viruses emails is
happening to me. I got that confirmed by an "Expert" ...and the same goes
for all of you. The more times you are out there-- the more Spam and virus
emails you will get. I still get about 200 virus emails a day....delete -
delete - delete. Silly me -- I was even putting my Road Runner address out
there every time I posted with Yahoo....in my signature --and in the body of
my email when I wanted you to reply to me. I created my own "problem".

---