Re: [art_education] Wipe out-Woody

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 07 2004 - 05:44:28 PST

lindwood@webtv.net wrote:
> I relate to
> sometimes pushing them too hard, and I try to gage each child's
> ego/emotional attachment to what they have done so far when we are still
> in the stage where I might push for more.
> Linda Woods

This has got to be one major argument for having trained professionals
teaching art to children. We can "hopefully" catch the nuances and step
in or stay out at the right moment. I did a workshop at a middle school
conference many years ago where the response was, "we can't do that".
My reply was cruel but correct, "and you shouldn't, a qualified art teacher
should be teaching them art". (Just my two cents) When the present
administration leaves and NCLB is changed hopefully the "qualified
teacher in every classroom" will be maintained.
                                                Woody in Snowy KC

--
28 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
My newest paintings from Taos: