Re: [art_education] Wipe out "perfectionism" - when it comes to art

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 20:13:26 PST

Thanks Judy,
        I agree, with the exception on my grandkids there is little
in this world that is perfect. I just finished reading them to sleep.
As for art, I look for the imperfections in the art I buy to assure
myself that it was truly hand made. The hopi leave a small chip in
the lip of a pot to allow spirits to escape. As do the Navajo, they
leave a thread passageway to the edge of one corner of a quilt for
much the same reason. I'm leary of buying a pot that is too perfect
thinking it might have been cast. I want my silver and turquoise to
show the tool marks of the maker. I want to see the care that went
into it's construction. In teaching printmaking I tried to impress on
my students that it was not only OK to leave tool marks, but it added
to the beauty of the final prints to show many of these marks.
        My son urged me to inspect the walls of our new home in
New Mexico for slight bowing in the studs. He builds in Kansas City
and would not appreciate the unlevel tile floors and curved walls
prized in the Southwest. I not only value the mistakes of human
hands, I applaud them. It's the hand made quilts that are hung in
museums not those made by machines. As for my watercolors, where
would they be with out all those beautiful accidents. I preached to my
students that there are no mistake in art, just happy accidents.
                        Keep up the good advice, Woody in KC

--
28 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
My newest paintings from Taos: