Research on Best Practices of Teaching Art

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 04 2004 - 17:44:33 PST

> I am currently working on a mini-research paper on "Best Practices" for
> teaching art or teaching strategies or pedagogy,....whatever you want to call
> it. I have found few resources. So much of the research was on why the arts
> are important in education or what the arts do when integrating them with core
> areas.

Search ERIC
there is a ton of stuff
or start a search on the history of art ed
look to Eisner first then go back and look at Lowenfeld

research is just that research hard looks for not such easy answers and
lots to plod through
e-mail me privately And I will send you my "bibs" for all the research that
I have done. Some good stuff is just not on the web, sometimes you have
to go to a library

there is a ton of stuff old and new
if your project is only "mini" then you may have to be more specific
there is lots of thinking going on in art practices right now and none of
it is mini. Your first best resource is the NAEA journal -- Studies in
Art Education (but that is print)

I do think research is lots of fun, writing the paper not so much fun
and I too have been writing research papers after 30 years out of college
and the format is different and it baffles me that everything needs to be
cited now - hardly any chance to make a personal opinion.

Patty
P.S. there is lots of great stuff coming from Australia and Canada
Good luck, you just have to do the research

---