AEN - Chuck Close + problem solving + overcoming

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 04 2004 - 05:44:11 PST

I have always stressed problem solving to my classes - because if there is
one thing I can give them is the ability to be creative in some aspect of
their lives... while watching the Chuck Close video, and reading the book
"Up Close" I came upon a quote by Close about problem solving vs problem
creating.... now I want my kids to be problem creators too -

I have always told my kids you never read the same book twice - I have read
the Close book so many times ... I guess I was just ready for that
passage...

Here is an article on Close and Ginny Ruffner. "The Art of Overcoming"
The Atlantic Online, 11/98

"Ruffner, too, was fortunate in that respect. She already had the art world
eating out of her hand when, in 1991, at the age of thirty-nine, a car wreck
left her in a coma for six weeks, her brain severely traumatized. When she
did finally emerge from her long absence, she had a problem that Monet and
Close probably never considered. Beyond the physical results of the crash --
Ruffner has lost much of the use of her left side (she was left-handed), her
speech is slow and difficult, her vision is double and vibrates constantly
-- Ruffner didn't know who she was. The slate of her experiences had been
wiped clean. She didn't have a clue about art, and all her dearly held
aesthetic opinions had vanished."

http://www.theatlantic.com/unbound/criticaleye/ce981118.htm

Ellen

---