Re: AP Studio Art Portfolios

---------

From: V Moreira Komando (komandov_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 03 2004 - 09:20:26 PST

Peggy,

If you are interested - I can share my 2D Design syllabus with you if you email me privately. I stress mastery of skills - have students work with their strengths, QUALITY work, and personal signature / personal voice in the work.

This is a college level class - so homework is a given. I have gone online and have found some AP art teachers that begin in the summer with assignments. (Google search AP syllabus) I try to move at a faster pace at this time of year. Most are done their breadth section at this point, but your students may be able to complete the portfolio with hard work and dedication based on what they wish to achieve.

This is the first year I have 10th and 11th grade working on portfolios, but many are on track. We have class critiques and this helps to evaluate the above. And, yes, they whine about all the work, but also love the class and what they are doing.

I also made a list of possible concentrations, since this seems to be so hard for the kids to decide. I tell them not to pick a board subject matter, to pick something they love and are passionate about working on.

Try to meet weekly with those that are not in your class for critiques. Pieces that are not up to the standards you demand can be reworked...and many times may give the student a new direction to pursue.

~^~
Vivian

Increase the Peace ~^~

http://members.cox.net/artzheart