Re: AEN - Clay question

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 04 2004 - 00:26:21 PST

>. . . With a 7 inch square mosaic, we are making our frames 10x12
>inches max. I am going to have the kids cut them out on masonite and
>then flip them over onto sheetrock sandwiched between the masonite and
>the sheetrock. Seems I remember someone in here saying that sheetrock
>is a great way to dry tiles evenly without warping. Do you just have
>them loosely covered with plastic while they are drying on the
>sheetrock? Do you weigh down the corners of the clay shape a bit to
>prevent warping? I would put another piece of sheetrock on top of the
>frames as well, but I don't anticipate them being really level. To
>whomever mentioned the sheetrock drying, need to connect with you again!
>
>Linda Woods

What you are proposing sounds about right to me. If they are not
smooth on top, you are probably right that it does not help to put
sheetrock on top, so put plastic on top and then when they are dry
enough to hold their shape you should be able to remove the plastic
and have them upside down for the final drying without any covering.
Maybe cover for night and uncover during the day when you can check
them several times during the day for signs of warping. I doubt that
weights help much, but do it if you think it helps. I have a couple
"hints" pages that might help with drying and firing ideas.

http://www.goshen.edu/~marvinpb/dryingslabs.html
http://www.goshen.edu/~marvinpb/Plates.htm

Marvin

---