RE: AEN - fractals on google today, 2/3

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 03 2004 - 07:01:29 PST

most of the ones you see are computer generated...

there are several that you can do with your kids that can be done by hand -
Sierpinski's Triangle, Sierpinski square, Koch's Snowflake and a few
others... then you can find them in some larger photos of nature etc....
somewhere I have a great book from the Exploratorium on Patterns in Nature -

Fractals can be found everywhere... self-similar patterns on different
scales (the leaves of a fern, a small rock to a rough coastline and on and
on - - I always think of it as Horton Hears a Who... a smaller world, a
smaller world etc...

they are used to create special effects in Star Wars Trilogy and Star Trek
The Wrath of Kahn... and I am sure the Lord of the Rings -

Ellen
> These (Fractals) are fantastic. I can see this as a concentration project
> in A.P. or just a fun project. Does anyone know how these are done? Are
> they planned? drawn?,painted? taken from science? Space, the final
> frontier? If anyone knows please respond.
>
> thanks,
>
> Ken Schwab

---